Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Revelation of the quarter of a century me

How do u identify the coming of age?
In Japan, there is a ceremoney that celebrate adulthood at the age of 20. This year, my religion will also have this similar kind of ceremoney in Taiwan. Those between 18 - 22 are to go there wif their family and celebrate the adulthood of the children. Parents are suppose to give a gift to their "adult" kid and the kid has to kowtow to their parents...

Altho these are the rituals, does anyone grow up that quickly, like poof. 18, we are grown physically but not grown in anywhere else. When I was 18, everything was rosy. I expect myself to go to Uni, find a gd course, study, get gd prospects, find my soulmate... Honestly, when u are young, everything seems so attainable...

Then u graduate, reality start to sunk in. I m one of the unlucky many to graduate in a year of bad economy aggravate by SARS. The job market was gloomy... I m scared, so scared that I decided to jump into the first job that was been offered. I never go and look around and analysed what job suited me. I m just scared that I will have no job, no income and incessant nagging from parents that I din try hard enuf or I m too choosy ... The job turn up fine despite my complains and stuff.And Yes! still no appearance of my significant other half. If I go by my own yardstick set when I was 18, I m a failure.

18 years olds, what do they know? How can u force them to be adults when they haven't seen the real world yet...

Last Sun, a group of my buddies and I celebrated one of our many bday... To my surprise and delight, our perspective changes, we seems older now, not so idealistic and more receptive with how the world really works. So much has change, even if we want to, we can't be 18 anymore. How I wish to drop all those grown up stuff and indulge in unrealistic fantasy. But can't, once grown, u can't revert back. Mental growth is seldom reversible, perhaps with the exception of having Alzheimer.

The quarter of a century me, noe what to expect when things does't go my way,noe how to make things happen if I really try hard, instead of lamenting at my failure. Know that things happen for a reason. Put more faith in God and spending quality time wif family and dun take things for granted; for the things existing today may be gone tmr.

AS maturity come with age, I can't image what will happen in 10 years or 20 years time. Will I grow into a better skin or will I stay the quarter of a century me... No matter what, just hope tat I will like myself when that moment come.

No comments: